When can you start taking driver's ed?
Register for Driver’s Ed and take the 32-hour classroom when you turn 15 years old.
When can I apply for a Drivers Permit?
Students can apply for their Learner’s Permit once they have turned 15.
What forms do I need in order to apply for a permit?
When applying for your permit at the DPS, you will need the following items:
- DE-964E Certificate (Earned after the first 6 hours (Module 1) of driver’s ed)
- DL-91A (Classroom Instruction Log)
- VOE (Verification of Enrollment and Attendance)
- Identification and residency documents
Can you drive to and from school with a permit in Texas?
Although the Texas drivers permit allows you to drive, you have to remember that it is not the unrestricted license and you have to abide to Texas learners permit restrictions. Thus, under these circumstances, you are not allowed to drive alone.
What behind-the-wheel training do I need to get a Driver's License?
Before applying for a Texas Driver’s License, students will need to complete 44 hours of live, actual driver training (in addition to the 32 hours of required classroom training) under the observation of a qualified parent, legal guardian or instructor.
- 7 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction
- 7 hours of in-car observation
- 30 hours of behind the wheel practice (including 10 hours at night)
What documents do I need to take the Road test?
Before taking the Road test for your driver’s license with one of our Third party testers, you will need to have the following:
- Students valid permit (must be held for 6 months if ages 16-17)
- DE-964 or PT-964 (completion certificate of driver’s ed course)
- IMPACT Texas Teen Drivers (ITTD) or if 18 and older IMPACT Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) certificate (https://impacttexasdrivers.dps.texas.gov/)
- Proof of Insurance
- 30 Hour Behind the Wheel Log (DPS Requirement)
- Parent/Legal Guardian MUST BE PRESENT- unless over 18.
- $75 payment (We accept debit, credit, money order or cash payment)
- If you completed a Parent taught packet, the following items will also be needed:
- DL-90B Behind the Wheel Instruction- Driver Education Affidavit
- DL-91A Classroom Log
- DL-91B Behind the Wheel Instruction Log (14 Hour)