When can you start taking driver's ed?
30 days before the students 15th birthday.
When can I apply for a Drivers Permit?
Students can apply for their Learner’s Permit once they have turned 15.
What forms do I need in order to apply for a permit?
When applying for your permit at the DPS, you will need the following items:
- DE-964 Certificate (Earned after the first 6 hours (Module 1) of driver’s ed)
- DL-91A – (Classroom Instruction Log- Parent Taught Students Only)
- VOE – (Verification of Enrollment and Attendance)
- Identification, 2 Proofs of Residency Documents
- Parent of Student
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security
- DL-14A – Application of the Texas Drivers License @ DPS Only
Can you drive to and from school with a permit in Texas?
Although the Texas drivers permit allows you to drive, you have to remember that it is not the unrestricted license and you have to abide to Texas learners permit restrictions. Thus, under these circumstances, you are not allowed to drive alone.
What behind-the-wheel training do I need to get a Driver's License?
Before applying for a Texas Driver’s License, students will need to complete 44 hours of live, actual driver training (in addition to the 32 hours of required classroom training) under the observation of a qualified parent, legal guardian or instructor.
- 7 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction
- 7 hours of in-car observation
- 30 hours of behind the wheel practice (including 10 hours at night)
What documents do I need to take the Road test?
Before taking the Road test for your driver’s license with one of our Third party testers, you will need to have the following:
- Students valid permit (must be held for 6 months if ages 16-17)
- DE-964 or PT-964 (completion certificate of driver’s ed course)
- IMPACT Texas Teen Drivers (ITTD) or if 18 and older IMPACT Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) certificate (https://impacttexasdrivers.dps.texas.gov/)
- Proof of Insurance
- 30 Hour Behind the Wheel Log (DPS Requirement)
- Parent/Legal Guardian MUST BE PRESENT- unless over 18.
- $80 payment for adults. If you are a Teen who took the Driver’s Ed Course with us, see an admin for your special pricing!
(We accept debit, credit, money order or cash payment)
- If you completed a Parent taught packet, the following items will also be needed:
- DL-90B Behind the Wheel Instruction- Driver Education Affidavit
- DL-91A Classroom Log
- DL-91B Behind the Wheel Instruction Log (14 Hour)
Submit your questions below: